H-4 Visa Holders Soon To Be Able To Work

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that it will extend eligibility for employment authorization to certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who are seeking employment based lawful permanent resident status effective May 26, 2015.  The change is expected to reduce the economic burdens faced by H-1B nonimmigrants and their families during their transition from nonimmigrant to lawful permanent resident status and minimize disruptions to U.S. businesses employing such workers.

Eligible individuals include H-4 spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who are either 1) the beneficiary of an approved I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, or 2) are holding H-1B status under AC21 sections 106(a) or (b).  If eligible, H-4 dependent spouses must file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, with supporting evidence and the required fee in order to receive employment authorization. 

DHS anticipates the move will encourage H-1B nonimmigrants to remain in the U.S. while seeking permanent resident status.  Further, by extending eligibility for employment authorization, the U.S. will bring its immigration policies for highly skilled workers closer in line with the laws of other countries trying to attract similar workers.

Jenna is an Intern with the firm and not a practicing attorney.

About The Author
Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in In The News, Nonimmigrant Visas

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About ABCs of Immigration Law
The global economy has become increasingly transactional and transcontinental. Since 9/11, there have been many amendments to immigration laws in the United States that have largely affected both individuals and businesses. Cozen O'Connor's immigration law blog, ABC's of Immigration Law, focuses on the interests and the challenges faced by those individuals and business impacted by immigration laws.
Subscribe For Updates


Cozen O’Connor Blogs