Special Instructions for B Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School

On April 11, 2017, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) posted FAQs for B-1/B-2 visitors who want to enroll in school. The USCIS emphasized that it is not permissible to enroll in school if individuals are in B-1 or B-2 status. The USCIS further stated that individuals in B-1 or B-2 status who have violated their nonimmigrant status by enrolling in a course of study are not eligible to extend their B status or change to F-1 or M-1 status. Before enrolling in a course of study, individuals who are in B-1 or B-2 status must first acquire F-1 (academic student) or M-1 (vocational student) status. To change nonimmigrant status, individuals must file a Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status and include the required fee and documents listed in the instructions. The USCIS also stated that individuals whose F-1 or M-1 program start date is deferred to the following academic term or semester – because USCIS did not make a decision on their Form I-539 change of status application before the originally intended F-1 program start date – must file a second Form I-539 in order to bridge the gap in time between when their current status expires and the 30-day period before the new F-1 program start date.

About The Author
Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About ABCs of Immigration Law
The global economy has become increasingly transactional and transcontinental. Since 9/11, there have been many amendments to immigration laws in the United States that have largely affected both individuals and businesses. Cozen O'Connor's immigration law blog, ABC's of Immigration Law, focuses on the interests and the challenges faced by those individuals and business impacted by immigration laws.
Subscribe For Updates


Cozen O’Connor Blogs